What are you reading now?

It is actually hard to keep track. My hope is to share authors and books that I enjoy with the rest of you and embarrass myself enough with the semi-public disclosure of my reading habits that I will no longer read absolute trash.


Monday, April 26, 2010

Soulless and Changeless






Soulless and Changeless (Parasol Protectorate Series)

By: Gail Carriger

Genre: Historical Urban Fantasy Mystery/Steampunk
Grade: A-
Rating: PG-13/R



I would be neglectful to let these books go unreviewed. I was pleasantly surprised to come across these books from a list of recommendations from another reader I trust. Thanks, Wendy D! Soulless is Pride and Prejudice and Zombies meets Harper Connelly meets Lady Emily. A unique and refreshing romp through a world I've been getting quite tired of.

Spinster Alexia Tarabott was put on the shelf years ago. She's half-Italian and strong witted with a large nose and barbed tongue. She seems to happily sit on the edge of polite society with no romantic expectations. Oh and she doesn't have a soul.

See in this alternative view of the turn of the 19th century industrialized London, every yin has a yang. Werewolves and vampires (I know, I know... its sad that I'm reading another GD vampire book- but not really a vampire book) are fully integrated into polite society and seem to have an overabundance of soul (only those with strong souls are convertible as it were). But Tarabott is the opposite. She had no soul, which only apparent side effect is that when she touches something supernatural, it reverts to human form until she breaks contact- neither human nor supernatural.

Tarabott ends up inadvertently and rather inconveniently killing a vampire at a house party (with a parasol) bringing in the furry form of Scottish DAR agent, Lord Conall Maccon (werewolf) to investigate. Throw in a group of scientists who worship a golden octopus, a gay vampire best friend, an alternative universe inclusive of invention, religion, and new societal norms and this mystery with a twist is over before you knew it began. Carriger has brought something intriguing and new to a genre that has been beaten to death over the past decade, by cleverly combining urban fantasy mystery with steampunk- painting a rich canvas to explore.

I have also recently finished the second book in this series, Changeless. The sequel was just as good (if not better) than Soulless, this time following Tarabott (now Lady Maccon) up to Scotland in an attempt to find her husband. The mystery in the second was much more prominent, as Carriger had the opportunity to introduce and flushed out her main characters quite nicely in the first book. Lady Maccon continues to challenge the norms set for women, wives and alphas in this steampunk, romantic romp. The imagery is desisive, impressive and hard- perfectly balanced with our heroine's personality. The new characters are endearingly used as foils and satire... and then shockingly forces unto themselves. I will have to say that it was one of the tightest mysteries I have read in quite a while. No Scooby Do mystery here. Though the romance in this series is clearly secondary, there is no lack of emotional connection to the players. The end of Changless was heartbreaking, I have already pre-ordered the next installment Blameless, which is supposed to be released in September. (I hope they don't jerk me around on my Kindle pre-order. This is me shaking my fist at Amazon.)

I whole-heartedly recommend Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series and can't wait to see what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment