What are you reading now?

It is actually hard to keep track. My hope is to share authors and books that I enjoy with the rest of you and embarrass myself enough with the semi-public disclosure of my reading habits that I will no longer read absolute trash.


Monday, May 24, 2010

So behind...









I've been reading my ass off and been really bad about writing any of it down, so here is my little catch up. May was an exciting time for installments in two of my favorite series. Lover Mine by J.R. Ward was the next book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. This was the HER (happily ever after for all you non-romance readers) for Xhex and John Matthew. I had been looking forward to this book, but as many series do after the fifth or sixth book, Ward is loosing steam and maybe some traction. I'm over it and that's disappointing, but it was a great ride.

And of course Charlaine Harris hit us with her tenth Sookie Stackhouse Novel, Dead in the Family. I did not have high expectations and I wasn't disappointed. The last few novels have been clearly filler. Harris finally hit the jackpot (and rightfully so), but I can't help feeling that if TrueBlood hadn't hit the big time, she would have tied Sookie up by now and is just bidding her time. Still it was by far superior to the last installment and when I read these books, it always feels like I'm spending some time with an old friend. It might not be like the good old days, but it's always nice to catch up. On the up side, I got my mother completely hooked on these and she plowed through the first nine in less than six weeks. Hey, I get this reading thing from somewhere.

My husband and I drove to and from New Orleans for vacation last week, so I had an incredible amount of time to read. I finished four books in total. On the way down, I read Beguiled by Deeanne Gist and J. Mark Bertrand and Stella, Get Your Gun by Nancy Bartholomew. I was attempting Gist once again, even though I'm not a fan. Bertrand is a new author that will have his first solo novel out this summer (Back on Murder). I have heard wonderful things about him from my fellow mystery readers who have reviewed the advanced copy. As a disclaimer, both Gist (Romance) and Bertrand (Murder Mysteries) have a slight Christian slight- which I don't typically enjoy. But both authors are progressive about the ideas of faith and sin in a modern age and I find anyone attempting to hold on to non-traditional ideas faith intriguing. Beguiled, though much lauded by fans of the Gist, was slightly disappointing and I think Ms. Gist and I won't be seeing each other further. On the hand, the mystery was compelling though a bit sheer in its layers for my taste. A pleasant romp. I may be compelled to seek out Bertrand's new work.

On the other hand, Stella, Get Your Gun was a pleasant surprise, not to mention an introduction to both a new author and series- which is always exciting for me. I wasn't looking for any heavy lifting during my vacation and this was definitely no literary masterpiece (not that I actually read those), but Bartholomew was witty, clever and smart in this small town, slightly feministy murder mystery. Admittedly, the main character (Stella Valocchi) is a more intelligent, less incompetent Stephanie Plum with better hair. Stella has made her way to FL and become a rather good cop. The night of her big break in a major case, she catches her live-in boyfriend and her partner slapping asses in her bed. She pulls a gun, steals his dog and heads back up north to her aunt and uncle only to find her uncle's been murdered. Add in the CIA, a long lost boyfriend, an uncle reincarnated into a dog and you have a pretty fantastic car read. Janet Evanovich, eat your heart out.

On the way back, I hit Crux by Moira Rogers, which is hardly worth mentioning (and free via my Kindle) and Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Cruise and Bob Mayer. I'm not usually a fan of dual author reads, but Agnes and the Hitman was the best mystery I have read in a while- southern mystery genre. Cranky Agnes has just released a mob cookbook revealing recipes of Uncle Joey, who retired in a quiet southern town outside Savannah with two other former mobsters. After appearing in her weekly food critic column with her dog Rhett and buying an old mansion named Two Rivers, Agnes begins to have unpleasant visits from dognappers and hitmen a like. Joey enlists the services of his nephew, Shane, who has a way with a Glock and well, is hot because that's just the kind of story this is. While Shane protects Agnes, she has to plan a wedding, avoid going to jail for bludgeoning men with her frying pan, figure out what is in the hidden bomb shelter in her basement, and contend with mobsters, southern belles, a cheating fiance and the U.S. government. I haven't laughed this often for a book in a while. The characters are well cared for, the mystery tight and cleverly spliced with humor and emotion, and Agne's columns which are quick witted commentaries on life, family and food. I will be digging for the other works Cruise and Mayer have co-authored.

Tada!

No comments:

Post a Comment