What are you reading now?

It is actually hard to keep track. My hope is to share authors and books that I enjoy with the rest of you and embarrass myself enough with the semi-public disclosure of my reading habits that I will no longer read absolute trash.


Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My dear Miss Woodhouse, you really are too kind


Emma
By Jane Austen

Genre: Classic, Historical Fiction, ChickLit, Bookclub

Grade: A-

Rating: PG

Stick with the Author: Without a doubt


I've always had a soft spot for Ms. Austen. She writes high class trash. The kind of stuff you don't have to be embarrassed about reading at Cup O'Joes, but can still enjoy in the same way you can Janet Evanovich or J.D. Robb. The only thing that really saddens me about Austen is how much Mark Twain (another big favorite of mine) hated her.

"Jane Austen? Why I go so far as to say that any library is a good library that does not contain a volume by Jane Austen. Even if it contains no other book." Twain in Remembered Yesterdays. Well, there is no accounting for taste, he also hated Presbyterians.

But you have to stick up for a woman who was really a radical for her time. She allowed us to know the voices of women, who would have otherwise never been known. She allowed those women to think that who they were mattered or could matter, that they had some consequence. I have no doubt of Twain's own streak of feminism and he was one hell of a radical himself, but he didn't give credit when it was due.

Since they have made this in a movie about a million times now, I suppose I don't have to go into the story. I mean, who hasn't seen Clueless? Spoiled, rich daughter likes to play matchmaker and basically wreaks havoc on her friend's lives. She tries to be a better person and ends up with Mr. Wonderful. The end.

Anyway, I feel like a traitor to my sex when it comes to Emma. I dislike her and continue to dislike her throughout the entire book. I can safely say of all of Ms. Austen's heroines, she is my least favorite and probably the most suspicious of character. Yes, I suppose she somewhat redeems herself in the end and I should give her some slack because she is young and naive. But she persists in being forever self involved, wretched and unlike most of the Austen main ladies, just plain dumb. I find her unworthy of her friendship with Mrs. Weston and the love of Mr. Knightly. She is, of course, not the most annoying or unlikeable character in the book. Everyone loves to hate Mr. and Mrs. Elton.

I also feel a bit disloyal to Mr. Darcy in that I think I like Mr. Knightly just a bit more. His manners are easy, though his non-contrary nature makes for a bit less suspense. I have read this book so often through my life and when I was younger, found his role somewhat condescending. I don't like the fact that Emma needs a man to make her a tolerable person. But in all fairness, he was sixteen years her elder, the only real single man of her station, and as a man had the liberty to know something more of life.

Not my favorite Austen. The prose is purposefully rambling which becomes burdensome and heavy, but as always her stories are intriguing and little glimpses inside a life we would never otherwise know. It's no Pride and Prejudice, but I wouldn't kick Mr. Knightly out of my bed for eating crackers either.

No comments:

Post a Comment